Sunday, 19 April 2015

Recipe: Hello Kitty Waffles



School's out and I couldn't be more excited to share this post with you! Last night at Keefe's house we realised that we hadn't cooked together in a really really long time (I'm talking like, 2 years kind of long), so I decided that I wanted to make lunch. We settled on Shepherd's Pie and waffles for dessert, but I overslept this morning and it ended up being just waffles. 



For this recipe I used my Hello Kitty waffle pan that Char, Belle and the boys got me for my 21st last year. I've literally been so busy since July 2014 that I never got to use it till now. ISN'T IT ADORABLE? I cannot begin to describe how much I love it, because it's well-made, non stick and it works. 

After a quick search on the internet, I found a bunch of videos on youtube on how to work the pan. Just type "hello kitty waffles" in the search bar and you'll see quite a number of helpful videos. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the cooking process because it was havoc and I was too busy yelling at Keefe. Today I realised Gordon Ramsay is my spirit animal in the kitchen.

The waffle recipe I used is adapted from a highly recommended one I got off the web by a chef called Pam Anderson. Honestly thought all the recipes were referring to bay watch Pam Anderson?! 

Here's how it went down, including how I prepped the waffle pan! Swapped some ingredients like buttermilk for milk, and cut out baking soda because I didn't have any. I also increased the amount of sugar and vanilla extract, but feel free to adjust according to your preference. 




Hello Kitty Waffles

Makes 7 waffles

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup corn flour/ cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
6 Tbs. vegetable oil 1 large egg, separated (or 2 small ones)
2 tbs. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
cut fruit
ice-cream
maple syrup/honey
whipped cream (optional)

1. Wash and dry waffle pan thoroughly. Spray or brush vegetable oil onto the pan, then heat it on the stove on low heat for 3 minutes on each side.

2. Add all the dry ingredients (except sugar) into a large mixing bowl. Place the large mixing bowl into another bowl with ice in it - this keeps the mixture cool and prevents the egg whites from collapsing later on, making for crispier waffles. Give the dry mixture a few stirs. At this point, flip your waffle pan if you haven't.

3. Separate the egg into two bowls. In the yolk bowl, add in the wet ingredients - milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Whisk well. Mix this into the dry mixture slowly. Stir until just mixed, don't over do it.

4. Use an electric mixer to whisk the egg white while gently adding the sugar. Whisk until soft peaks are formed. Add the foamy egg whites to the batter gradually, folding in as you do so. DO NOT stir vigorously! Your end result shouldn't be one thick batter, but a pale batter with foamy egg white peeking through. This is how cafes and restaurants get their waffles crispy on the outside and light/fluffy on the inside.

5. Go back to your waffle pan and wipe off excess oil, then brush or spray on a new layer. Scoop the waffle batter into the centre of the pan and let it fill. I used an ice-cream scoop for this, but a ladle works well too!

6. After filling up the pan, close it and flip it immediately. Start your timer for 2-3 minutes on each side, then flip when it's time. You should get a crispy, golden brown Hello Kitty face greeting you at the end of 5 mins. Trim the excess on the sides, then top with fresh fruit and ice-cream. I used strawberries and sprinkled some icing-sugar for some frou-frou feels. All done!

Tip: The first waffle usually won't be very pretty but don't sweat it! Keep the heat constant and adjust the flame if the first waffle was underdone/burnt. After the 4th waffle or so the pan will be really hot, so turn off the heat completely and continue cooking. Turn it up again when the pan loses heat.

Don't ask me why I was holding the plate like a frisbee

Hope you guys have fun with this, the possibilities are endless with this recipe. I'm probably gonna try a savoury version or stir blueberries/coco powder into the batter next time. Let me know how it goes, all the best!

2 comments :

  1. so freaking adorable! love this!

    stop by and chat :) http://storybookapothecary.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww thank you! Glad you liked the post. Will def drop by your blog, I'm already following you on bloglovin <3 see you around!

    ReplyDelete