Thursday, 21 May 2015

Ode to Guac & Go's Almond Milk


Behold this beauty: Guac & Go's freshly made almond milk.


Before I tried this I didn't really know what to expect. My fridge is always stocked with cartons of nut milk but I've never had it raw, so I was eager to see what the difference was! I guess I thought it would taste like a thinner version of almond cream (the Chinese dessert sort) which would have been awesome, since I love almond cream but find it too decadent for daily consumption. 

Well the almond milk tasted nothing like that, and I now realise how artificial almond flavoured desserts actually taste.  Instead it was light, frothy, smooth and had a flavour that was far more neutral than expected. You know how almond jelly and cream have that signature "almond" smell. That's all essence, some mystery elixir you can buy at baking stores but it hardly tastes like the real thing! Fresh almond milk has such a lovely subtle flavour that it's pleasantly bland on it's own. I suppose it would go great as a creamer to other beverages, and Guac pairs it with some of its other drinks. Guac's almond milk isn't the kind of drink that will make you go "WOW" at first taste, but when you reach the bottom of the jar you'll find yourself thinking "damn! Already?" 

At $8 a pop, Guac's almond milk isn't something most of us can afford every day.  But do get it the next time you're having a meal at Guac or if you're around the area! It's also available as one of the juices you can choose for Guac & Go's customisable juice cleanse

Now I know some of you might accuse me of being biased because Guac is owned by a friend. But I paid for this drink myself and would be as pissed as anyone else if I didn't get my money's worth. 

The rest of you might say, "Why should I pay for this if I can make it myself?" Let's be real honey, your transport fare and the money you spend on almonds, raw honey and what-not would already cost more than a glass at Guac. Also, are you really going to put in the effort to soak almonds overnight, grind them and strain them in a muslin cloth for a milk that will only keep for 3 days tops? Do yourself a favour and let the good folks at Guac do it as you kick back and relax in the cafe, instagramming their avocado wall to your heart's delight. You'll thank me, I promise. And tell them I sent you. 

Guac & Go is located at:

32 Maxwell Road #01-08 Singapore 069115
Opens Mon - Thurs: 10:00–19:30,
Fri: 10:00–21:00

11 comments :

  1. They have almond milk in the UK that tastes like what you describe above! I always thought almond milk would have that artificial smell (which I don't like) but the ones here don't! I thought drinking almond milk was something super pretentious but I'm a convert now! I hope I can get it back in SG ):
    <3! Carina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes you can get it in sg! either buy the cartons or drop by health food cafes like guac for a glass/ takeaway bottle. Is it as expensive in the UK also though?

      Delete
  2. Hey Omgosh! I knew you were blogging but I didn't know you were on HCBN too :) This is awesome, a fellow Singaporean/St Margs girl!!! Loving your blog, you go girl!!

    Melody
    www.melodysim.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi melody! hehe I remember you, so nice to see you here! I drop by your blog time to time, so glad to see that you're doing so well with your life. I always tell my friends very proudly that I have a junior who's an officer :') See you around k?

      Delete
  3. That sounds delicious. I love healthy food, and it sounds like Guac & Go puts their hearts into what they make!

    The Pink Paperdoll

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they do! Thanks for dropping by abbie! x

      Delete
  4. Yummmm, I love Almond milk... it was never what I expected but I think that's the beauty :)
    xoxo
    Brooke|LookBrooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. couldnt agree with you more brooke! x

      Delete
  5. Haha I usually get carton-ed almond milk from the supermarket. Is there a big difference? -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there definitely is! carton milk doesn't have that frothiness and additives/sugar are usually added to preserve the milk. It's not that carton milk doesn't taste good, the fresh stuff just tastes better :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds delish! It's crazy to think how processed and artificial some of our food is - I never knew the almondy scent was in fact artificial. I'm hoping to switch to natural/organic everything soon, just wish I lived close to Guac!

    Angi | www.twodifferentworlds.com

    ReplyDelete