Sunday, 17 May 2015

Sunday Squares


Welcome to my new weekly series, Sunday Squares! Every Sunday I'll be uploading 4 squares of visuals that sum up my week, accompanied by a short update of what's been going on. Some of them you might've seen on my instagram, some of them are new material.

This is just one of the things I've decided to come up with in order to ensure regular updates on this space. If I manage to keep up with all of them, you guys will be getting a few of these semi-weekly instalments a week! Very ambitious I know, but let's just see how it goes :)

Also, I have to apologise for being so absent these 2 weeks. I was really pulling my hair out studying for American Modernism, which is honestly a hellish mod if not for the incredibly competent prof who teaches it (Lit students take note). I also fell sick AND started working, so my plate's been pretty full. Anyway, here are this week's squares - the first of (hopefully) many more to come!


Top Left: The view from my balcony. Sometimes I forget how beautiful it is, but after my first day of work I decided to look out for a bit and just unwind with one of the company's recipe books in my hand. When I was a kid my dad used to pick me up and point out the landmarks we could see from our block, like Hwa Chong's clock tower. Fast forward 15 years and here I am, doing grown up things like working a full-time job.

Top Right and Bottom Left: Yesterday BAR had our May workshopping session at Guac&Go, a wonderful little health cafe set up by my dearest friend Charlotte. I love the avocado wall, hand painted by Char's very own mummy! Fun Fact: I have 2 paintings in my house of my brothers and I done by her as well. Apparently my mother felt family photos were too mainstream so we needed family art as well. Anyway, I had my usual humongous kale wrap while I was there. I also tried almond milk (pictured in bottom left) and it was such an experience in itself that I'll be dedicating a whole post on it in the next few days. Needless to say, it was good. 

Bottom Right: I really have been eating my way through this week, and it's getting worrying since I haven't exercised in 3 weeks. This one's of Bing Go, a new pat bing soo (korean ice kacang/ shaved ice) place right outside Bt Timah Plaza. It's really cozy, and though the prices aren't cheap ($11 for a bingsoo) they're good for sharing with at least 2 friends. The place is owned by koreans so you know it's legit. This is the first time I've actually had bingsoo since I came back from Seoul like 3 years ago? We ordered the Green Tea one, and it was topped with green tea syrup, red beans, corn flakes and a small scoop of green tea ice-cream. Bing Go doesn't exactly match up with those that I've had in Seoul, but it does satisfy bingsoo cravings nonetheless. I'll be back to try their sandwiches and waffles soon! Anyone wants to come along? 

Okay, that wraps up my first instalment of Sunday Squares! Tell me what you think of it (Yay or Nay?) and look out for my post on Guac & Go's almond milk in the next few days. Have a good week everyone!

Much love,
Jia 

16 comments :

  1. Where is the cake jiahan? How can your url be so deceiving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I've never had pat bing soo (not sure where to find it in San Francisco!) but I do love Chinese shaved ice so I bet I'd love this. Cornflakes! :)

    Lisa
    Strum Simmer Sip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa thanks for dropping by! <3 Maybe you could try korea town? Is there one in SF?

      Delete
  3. This is such a cute idea! :D I love avocados, and that shaved ice looks and sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Farrah! I love avocados too, can't get enough of them. Shaved ice is great, I can't wait to get another serving this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this idea! Looking forward to following along with these each week ~

    xoxo,
    Lara
    Sea Foam & Diamonds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lara! So nice to see you here again :)

      Delete
  6. This is so fun!! Love your pix! ...also, oh my word!! Your view is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cailee! Yes, I'm so lucky to have such a view, it's a pity I forget about it because I've been staying here forever!

      Delete
  7. That first picture is so stunning! I've fallen in love with that breathtaking view. Loving this segment, keep them coming! (:

    With Love, Fatema | http://creativeinthearts.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much fatema, you're a darling :) do follow me on bloglovin so that you can be updated every sunday!

      Delete
  8. Love the idea of this post, super cute and clever! Love your blog btw :)

    P.S. That almond milk looks super delicious!!

    www.that-girl-in-nyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you meliza! your blog is lovely too. And yes that almond milk was so delish that i dedicated an entire post on it. you can check that out :)

      Delete