Saturday, 13 June 2015

Crown Bakery & Cafe


Last Sunday Keefe and I popped by Crown Bakery & Cafe for tea.

Really, the thing I like best about this place is how near it is to where I live. Those who know me have heard my mantra a dozen times, "I choose schools, jobs and boyfriends based on proximity". I've kept true to my word so far (NTU isn't the nearest but it was Boon Lay or UK, go figure), and I guess this mantra now applies to my favourite cafes as well.

They say familiarity breeds contempt, but in this case it seems familiarity breeds cafes! I've been to Crown Centre hundreds of times for baby ballet and Chinese tuition classes when I was younger and dreaded it, but now I finally have an enjoyable reason to visit. Those in the East, don't complain. You have your fair share of inaccessible cafes like Lola's and Coastal Settlement. Westies unite!

The cafe itself is adorable, I love the pastel blue and gold finishings. It has that mock european bakery vibe that could seem tacky if done wrongly. Lucky for them, they've got it right - this place is incredibly photogenic, as is their food. There is also more alfresco than indoor seating, so drop by in the morning or evening if you want to avoid the heat.


I ordered the Balsamic Strawberry Citrus Cream ($12) for myself and waffles with mixed fruit and ice-cream ($9) for Keefe. Truth be told, I was slightly disappointed by my dessert. The balsamic strawberry reduction tasted rather unexciting, like a strawberry jam. The citrus in the dish was merely a few strips of candied orange peel placed at the top. It gave the dessert a kick of citrus, yes, but I was mislead by the words "citrus cream". Instead, the cream was fluffy and smooth, and vanilla in all sense of the word. I enjoyed it nonetheless, and felt it went well with the fluffy brioche that wasn't too sweet. All in all I just felt like I was eating a fancy strawberry shortcake, which was probably what it was intended to be anyway.

The buttermilk waffles however were far less unpretentious. The ex ice-cream girl in me disliked how small the scoop of ice-cream was, but the waffles were done right. There are days I like my waffles dense and buttery, and days I prefer them crisp and light. I'd visit this place if I were in the mood for the latter. Keefe didn't like them too much though, and felt they tasted really similar to the Hello Kitty waffles we'd made before. I could see where he was coming from since I also based my recipe on a buttermilk one, but Crown Bakery had a little something extra in the batter that I quite enjoyed.


Had I not had lunch prior to my visit, I would definitely have tried their savoury selection. Crown Breakfast ($29) looks to die for and I certainly want to get some of their famous Hainanese Chicken Rice Bread in my mouth. While I checked out their bread rolls a chef talked to me about how they used natural rather than powder yeast in their bread. Apparently they ferment fruit in order to get the yeast, so the bread tastes more sour and fragrant as a result. His passion for the products was obvious and I liked that very much about this place, the staff actually looked happy to have us.

I'd say this cafe certainly warrants another visit, even though this time the food was so-so. I also like that there's no service charge. I'll be back for more, Crown Bakery! I hope you won't let me down the next time.


17 comments :

  1. Beautiful photos! I've been craving waffles lately... I might have to get some for brunch tomorrow :)

    ♥ Lisa
    Strum Simmer Sip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should Lisa! I don't care if I'm gonna get called out for being a basic bitch but I love brunch.

      Delete
  2. Ah, everything looks so good! <3 I feel like I really need to make something brunch-like now, hahaha. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Farrah you should! Blog about it too, I'd love to see what you're making :)

      Delete
  3. I love the photos! Great post :) I seriously love the sound of those waffles, my mouth is watering at the description of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Harriet <3 Waffles are one of my great passions in life... I want to go back in time and give their inventor a big thank you hug

      Delete
  4. Have you tried Wimbly Lu? Their waffles are amazing! This one looks really good, I wonder if it's as good as Wimbly's!!

    www.melodysim.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't! Serangoon is abit out of the way for me, but I really should try them some day. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  5. Ah, that looks delicious! <3 Great post!

    www.laurelmusical.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel! If you like my posts do follow me on bloglovin' to get more updates :)

      Delete
  6. This looks deliciousness I love this recipe.

    www.aseersuckerstateofmind.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a bummer the food didn't turn out as expected. Those photos make it look absolutely to die for!

    xx, Ashleigh | Fashion in Flight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Sometimes the prettiest food tastes meh but the simplest things give so much pleasure. Thanks for visiting Ashleigh!

      Delete
  8. This looks so good, I am book marking this recipe for next weekend!
    Sophie
    http://smittensophie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos had my mouth watering! Too bad it looked prettier than it tasted. Waffles are one of my favorite breakfast items, although I hardly make them..You've inspired me to break out my waffle iron for breakfast tomorrow! Btw, found you on Bloglovin and can't wait to follow along!

    Wifemamafoodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much joscelyn! I love your blog, I'm glad we stumbled upon each others blogs :)

      Delete