Sunday, 21 June 2015

Rise & Grind Coffee Co.

In this week's edition of "jiahan goes to overpriced/pretentious cafes for brunch", I'll be reviewing Rise & Grind at Bukit Timah Plaza.

So I dragged my favourite brunch buddy Keefe to Rise & Grind because we'd passed by a few times but never got down to trying it. It has the same wood/industrial vibe that many cafes seem to favour in Singapore. I'm sure those of you who've been to Seoul will agree that our cafe culture still has a really long way to go.






Anyway, I ordered the Avo-ka-dukkah ($15) - toast topped with guacamole, greek yoghurt, grilled haloumi, cherry tomatoes, arugula and two poached eggs. The presentation wasn't the fanciest - no eggs piled precariously on muffins, no dressing blanketing them either. It didn't need any of those. I loved how the flavours came together, the mildness of the haloumi balanced out the acidity of the tomatoes and yogurt. If you're on a clean diet this would be great as well, since everything on this plate is unprocessed.

The only complaint I had was that my poached eggs were a tad overdone, and the greek yogurt was a bit too tart for the flavour profile of the other ingredients. The slices of toast were also a little thin for my liking. I also would have preferred it if the huac was spread on both slices of bread instead of just the top one.


Keefe had Shakshouka ($16) - a middle eastern tomato based dish. Rise & Grind's interpretation came with lamb sausage, a soft-boiled egg and 2 slices of toast. I tasted some of this and really liked the tomato base, but Keefe found it too sour by the time he got to the bottom of the ramekin. The portion and ingredients also did not justify the price tag. Not for big eaters!


I really wanted Rise & Grind Coffee Co. to live up to my expectations, and I would say they did. A quick scan of other reviews of this cafe seem to suggest that their menu has its hits and misses, but I wouldn't mind returning. Food here isn't the cheapest (most of their main fare starts from $15) but prices are nett. One huge downside is that they only accept cash, so do be prepared when you're dining here.

Rise & Grind Coffee Co. is located at:

1 Jalan Anak Bukit L1-CA1 
Bukit Timah Plaza 
Singapore 588996

16 comments :

  1. Looks delicious! Great pics and love your blog layout :)

    xoxo, Kirsten (thewanderingbrunette.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kirsten! I'm actually considering getting a designer to do a unique layout for me though.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I haven't seen a dish like the egg dish quite like that before! It looks beautiful with all the colors! And what fabulous photography :) I loved how you captured the little details of the cafe! Looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither had I! Thanks for the kind compliments Gina :) Do follow me on bloglovin' if you like posts like these! x

      Delete
  3. Ah I love cute little coffee shops- looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so do I, but my wallet doesn't! Thanks for visiting Alexandra :)

      Delete
  4. In need of a good cuppa coffee. Great photos too !! x

    stephlui.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Steph! Saw from you blog that you're from hong kong, that means we're not too far from each other :)

      Delete
  5. Amazing post dear!

    https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/printed-sea-3880191

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being a darling Ira :) x

      Delete
  6. Those photos look amazing!!! You can never go wrong with avocado on toast, so yummy!
    Love going to new coffee shops - so many in NYC that I need to try!

    www.that-girl-in-nyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree meliza! and you can't imagine how envious I am now that you're from nyc. It's a dream of mine to visit one day :)

      Delete
  7. The food all looks so delicious, Chloe! Shakshouka is my favourite. I love the photography too - it's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for dropping by harriet! I love your blog x

      Delete
  8. Wow, guac for breakfast?! Yes, please! Everything looks so amazing. I'll have to try recreating some of those dishes, since I live so far away! Thanks for the inspiration, Chloe :-)

    Wifemamafoodie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so cute!! Great review, Chloe :))

    xx Shirley
    http://classifiedcloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete