Monday, 10 August 2015

Sunday Squares: Bangkok


Welcome back to this week's edition of Sunday Squares! If you haven't noticed, this segment has been pretty irregular on my blog. I've decided to post this segment only when I have legit material, otherwise it'd be one of those boring weekly roundups nobody really cares about. 

This week I flew to Bangkok, Thailand for a few days with uni friends. If you follow me on instagram, you've probably seen these squares already. If you didn't, no worries because here they are with the stories behind them!

Top left: My friends and I stayed at the Baiyoke Sky Hotel in the Pratunam district. This shot was taken at one of its top floors - the hotel is famed for being the tallest building in Bangkok. Sure, we could have saved a lot by staying at one of the many hip hostels in the area. But I'd stayed here before and knew that the buffet breakfast every morning would justify the extra cost because the variety is unbeatable for the price of the room.

Top right: So on one of our last days we made the brave expedition to Bangkok's Chinatown without taxis, maps, and brace yourselves... internet connection. We came here looking for TK Seafood, a favourite among other friends who'd been to Bangkok recently. 

We eventually found it the old fashioned way by asking locals for help. I wouldn't say the journey there wasn't worth it because we did get that lovely lime/chilli seasoned snapper you see up there, but the portions were small and it was the priciest meal we had the whole trip.

Bottom left: We found these noodles by scouring the internet for something to do after we realised the floating market we wanted to visit wasn't open on weekdays. Our search led us to Rang Sit Floating Market, a riverside food market well-known for their boat noodles. 

To get to Rang Sit, we took a 40minute cab ride out of the city. I'd reckon it was one of the best decisions we'd made this trip, because the noodles were amazing and only set us back 50baht per bowl. That's $2 for noodles in broth made from celestial cows and the dew of heavenly herbs. I kid, but seriously though, that stuff was so good we had two bowls each. With each spoonful I let out an internal YASSSSSS. 

Bottom Right: How could complete this post without mentioning the shopping? I've made an internal note to get myself a hat for ages, so when I saw this adorable bucket hat with a sushi print I knew I had to get it. I'm 22, but I can never get over anything with food printed on it. 

8 comments :

  1. I've never seen anything of Bangkok other than the airport--sounds like you had a good and tasty time there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a splendid time there, and hearing about the bomb that went off this last week was heartbreaking :(

      Delete
  2. I very much enjoy your Sunday Squares posts! Esp seeing your food pics... Yum :)

    Hope to be able to travel to Bangkok someday, it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for dropping by again meliza! I'm so glad you liked the post. Yes pleas do travel to bangkok, besides the flight there everything else is really affordable!

      Delete
  3. This is an awesome post! I have never been to Bangkok! Do you live in Asia? The $2 noodles sound AMAZING !!! What is TK seafood??

    Danielle Greco
    AccordingtoD.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Danielle I live in Asia! The $2 noodles were a dream and TK seafood is a local seafood roadside restaurant that we tried.

      Delete
  4. Hi :)
    Great post, really enjoyed reading it. I've never been to Bangkok. Love your photos :)
    Clem x
    http://www.clemloves.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi clem, so lovely for you to drop by! thanks for the compliment <3

    ReplyDelete