Sunday 5 July 2015

Mini Bundt Earl Grey Cakes

Today I walked home feeling a little restless and blue - I didn't feel like idling the day away, yet heading out didn't seem like a good idea given the heat.

It suddenly struck me that I had flour, sugar and milk to use up, and a brand new mini bundt pan I'd yet to try out. I considered making chocolate chip mini bundt cakes, but that idea bored me even before I reached my door step. So when I got home, I scanned the larder for anything else I could use.

What I saw were teabags... literally hundreds of them that would probably never see the light of a teacup had I not used them. I quickly found a recipe for earl grey bundt cakes, but then realised I didn't have enough earl grey for the recipe, so I mixed some with english breakfast. However, I realised that the taste of english breakfast was too mild for my liking (it tasted like a very boring teh) so I would recommend using stronger teas like earl grey and chai.



The recipe I used is adapted from the gorgeous food blog le jus d'orange:
    Yields 12 mini bundt cakes

    Ingredients:


    1/3 cup buttermilk (or 1/3 cup milk with 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice)
    125g all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 bag earl grey tea (for milk)
    3 bags earl grey tea (for batter)
    85g unsalted butter
    85g granulated sugar
    1 regular egg + 1 yolk

    1. Heat up the milk with the lemon juice and tea bag until almost boiling, then take off heat. Let it cool or put into ice-bath if you're impatient.
    2. Preheat oven to 180degc. Grease bundt pan.
    3. Sift flour, and add in all dry ingredients EXCEPT sugar (salt, baking soda, tea).
    4. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer until fluffy.
    5. Add in vanilla and beat again.
    6. Beat eggs and add in gradually, making sure it doesn't curdle.
    7. Add half the flour mixture and mix. Add in 1/2 the buttermilk and mix. Repeat until all ingredients have just come together, preferably by folding them in gently with a spatula. The final mixture should resemble a creamy gelato.
    8. Fill each mini bundt mold until 3/4 full only. Tap pan on countertop to remove trapped air.
    9. Bake for 18mins, mini bundts should loosen easily from the pan when cooled.

    Tips:
     
  • Simply multiply ingredients cording to the number of trays you wish to make. To make a full bundt cake, triple the ingredients or follow de jus d'orange's original recipe
  • If baking several batches, always wipe the tray clean and lightly grease before filling the pan (I forgot to do this and the latter batches came out very brown, but taste wasn't affected)

I'd consider this time's baking adventure a moderate success, considering I'm a lot better at cooking than cakes as I've mentioned before. The mini bundts were slightly crisp around the edges and fluffy on the inside, I quite enjoyed them myself.

Now please excuse me while I cuddle up with two (or more) of these, a cup of tea and a good book.


18 comments :

  1. I LOVE anything with Earl Grey tea! I have some Chocolate Earl Grey Scones on my blog that I make often. I can't wait to try this recipe out! The mini cakes are just too cute! Thanks for sharing, Chloe!
    Wifemamafoodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again Joscelyn! Your recipe sounds DELICIOUS, I'm definitely bookmarking it and trying it out. Let you know how it goes!

      Delete
  2. I must try this recipe. I love Earl Grey tea, I can't imagine how these mini creations taste. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    www.that-girl-in-nyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes you need to try it out! even if you don't have a bundt pan, it'll work perfect in any other cake or cupcake pan.

      Delete
  3. How cute! I love the idea of using tea in a dessert like this. Where can I find a mini bundt cake tin?!

    ♥ Lisa
    strum simmer sip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any bakeware shop should sell this! The brand mine is from is called Nordic Ware and they're from the US, so I don't think it should be a problem getting it where you are :)

      Delete
  4. I'm craving for a good cuppa orange blossom tea with the earl grey cake you have there!! Thank you for sharing the recipe (:

    stephlui.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. orange blossom sounds delicious, and I bet they'd go splendidly with these. Thanks for dropping by steph!

      Delete
  5. These sound delicious! There is a cafe near my house that sells a delicious Earl Grey tea with cream and vanilla. These would be perfect to have with a cup of tea. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound so very delicious and I am looking forward to trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this, I will most definitely be making these :D Thank you for posting, I'm happy to have come across your blog!

    www.shoesandsashimi.com
    IG @shoes_and_sashimi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you lauren! add me on bloglovin' if you wanna keep up with my posts! :)

      Delete
  8. You have such amazing recipes! I'd love to try some of them!

    Cheers, Eliza | www.fashion-confession.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks babe! hope it turns out well for you too :)

      Delete
  9. Hi there.. Thanks for sharing this. Would certainly love to try it out on my silicone mini bundt pan. Realised you mentioned eggs but couldn't find how many eggs u used in your recipe.. Or did I completely miss that out somewhere ..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for telling me! I used 2 regular eggs for this recipe. hope that works!

      Delete
  10. How much vanilla was use for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just a dash will do! i usually use 1 tsp :) sorry for seeing this so late!

      Delete